Monday, June 8, 2009

Blessed Sacrament, Beach Ave., Soundview

See pages 484 and 486 for the 1927 creation of Blessed Sacrament parish, Beach and Gleason Avenues, a block south of Westchester Avenue. The church and school date from 1929. The rectory address is 1170 Beach Avenue, Bronx NY 10472, telephone 718-892-3214.  Facebook has pages of alumni and parishioners of Blessed Sacrament.
In May, 2009, President Obama nominated a graduate of Blessed Sacrament school to the United States Supreme Court. This article by Michael Daly of the New York Daily News describes the school in 2009.  Unfortunately, the archdiocese decided to close the school in 2013.
In the above photo, note the stained glass windows indicating the location of the church, with classrooms above it. Quite a few Bronx parishes were built with such combined use.

Above is the cornerstone at the north end of the combined school and church.

A second school building, with a 1955 cornerstone, is on the west side of Taylor Avenue, behind the 1929 building. According to the same New York Times article referred to above, the younger students used this building. Also on Taylor Avenue is the Seton House, a former convent with a 1950 cornerstone. For many decades, the Sisters of Charity taught in Blessed Sacrament School.

A playground and ballfield occupy the north side of Watson Avenue between Beach Avenue (to the left) and Taylor Avenue to the right.

One may find in the neighborhood quite a few signs like the above.

Holy Cross, Soundview Avenue

See pages 484 and 485 for the 1921 foundation of Holy Cross parish on Soundview Avenue, Clason Point. The parish website is linked here. The rectory address is 600 Soundview Ave., Bronx NY 10473, telephone 718-893-5550.
Above is the church, on the east side of Soundview Avenue. The intersection is Taylor Avenue is to the left. The church was designed by Brother Cajetan Baumann, O.F.M.
A year or so ago, archdiocesan clergy replaced the Franciscan Friars, who for more than eighty years staffed this parish. An interesting set of historical photos is linked here. I note that for a while this parish had a combined church-and-school structure that several Bronx parishes built in the 1920's.

Above is one of the parish school buildings, located on the east side side of Thieriot Avenue just north of Randall Avenue. Another building which appears to be a school with a playground is one the west side of Thieriot Avenue, that is, somewhat behind the church.
The address of Holy Cross school is 1846 Randall Ave., Bronx NY 10473. The school website is linked here.