Friday, July 29, 2011

St. John Chrysostom

The church stands on the southwest corner of East 166th Street and Hoe Avenue. One block behind the church is the busy intersection of Westchester Avenue and Southern Boulevard, at the Simpson Street station of the #2 and #5 trains.

See page 297 for the establishment of the parish of St John Chrysostom on East 167 St at Hoe Avenue, in 1899. The church dates from 1900. Also see page 521 for a 1974 photo of the parish Holy Name Society. The rectory address is 985 East 167 St., Bronx NY 10459, telephone 718-542-6164.

Since 1914, the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill and lay teachers have staffed the parish school. The school address is 1144 Hoe Avenue, Bronx NY 10459, telephone 718-328-7266. The extensive and informative school website is lined here. With about 600 students, it apparently has two sections per grade.
St. John, known as Chrysostom (golden-mouthed) because of his preaching, is recognized as both a Father and Doctor of the Church.  He lived from about 349 to 407, in what is now Turkey and in the imperial capital of Constantinople.  He spoke Greek, and many of his sermons survive in the original Greek, with some English translations available.  A brief life of St. John Chrysostom is linked here.

St. Anthony of Padua, East 166th Street

See page 221 for the foundation of the parish of St Anthony of Padua on the southwest corner of East 166 Street and Prospect Avenue, Morrisania, in 1901. The present church date from 1928. See page 606 for the parish becoming a mostly Hispanic parish. The rectory address is 832 East 166 St., Bronx NY 10459, the telephone number 718-542-7293. The pastor is Bishop Josu Iriondo, who is also vicar for the South Bronx.
Please note that there are three parishes in The Bronx named after the same Franciscan saint, St. Anthony of Padua, also known as St. Anthony of Lisbon, where he was born in 1195. The three parishes are in WakefieldVan Nest, and here in Morrisania.

The church faces Prospect Avenue and a bus stop of Bx17, a long route which connects Fordham Plaza with East 133rd Street. On East 166th Street, adjacent to the church, is the former school, now used by the Charismatic Center.  Please see the center's video here.  A block west, on Union Avenues, contemplative Missionaries of Charity reside.

Any photo may be enlarged by clicking on it.

Friday, July 1, 2011

St. Anthony, Wakefield

To read the important announcement below the schedule, please click on the photo. While other rectories have been closed in the 200-year history of the archdiocese of New York, this is the first such sign I have seen. Note, however, that Mass is celebrated here.
See pages 478 and 479 for the parish of St. Anthony, Wakefield, founded as an Italian parish in 1919. The present church dates from 1976. The above photos were taken at 4505 Richardson Ave., Bronx NY 10470, a few steps north of East 239th Street. This is west of White Plains Road. The parish office is now a half-mile south, but east of White Plains Road.
Careful! There are three parishes in The Bronx with St. Anthony of Padua as patron: Mansion St. (Commonwealth Ave.), East 166 St., and this one. Also, this parish on Richardson Avenue shares its pastor or administrator with two other Wakefield parishes, St. Frances of Rome and St. Francis Assisi.
The elementary school founded by the parish closed in June, 2011. The archdiocesan press release is linked here.