Monday, June 27, 2011

St. Joan of Arc, Stratford Avenue

Any photo may be enlarged by clicking on it.

See pages 488 and 489 for the foundation of St. Joan of Arc parish, at Stratford Avenue and East 174 Street, in 1949, because of the postwar construction of public housing (the Bronx River Houses, 1951). The church dates from 1953. The rectory address is 1372 Stratford Ave., Bronx NY 10472, telephone 718-842-2233. In the top photo, two-way East 174 Street is along the left side of the church. The car is on one-way northbound Stratford Avenue.
The Bx36 crosstown bus provides frequent service along East 174th Street here, with a bus stop a few steps from the church. In automobile terms, the church is located southwest of the interchange of the Cross-Bronx Expressway and the Bronx River Parkway. Getting from a highway exit to the church can be a bit complicated, but keep in mind that St. Joan of Arc church is at the corner of East 174 Street and Stratford Avenue.

St. Thomas Aquinas, Crotona Parkway, East Tremont

St. Thomas from Aquino, Italy, lived from 1225 to 1274. A Dominican friar, renowned for his teaching and his writings, St. Thomas is honored as a Doctor of the Church.

The rectory address is 1900 Crotona Parkway, Bronx NY 10460, telephone 718-589-5235. IN 2010, it appears that the parish is entrusted to the Institute of the Incarnate Word, priests from Argentina. The above photo looks east from Southern Boulevard and its linear park. The one-way northbound street is Crotona Parkway, parallel to Southern Boulevard. The street running west from this intersection is Fairmount Place.
See page 296 for the establishment of the parish of St Thomas Aquinas on Crotona Parkway in East Tremont in 1890. See page 413 for a 1908 advertisement for the parish's annual picnic and games to be held at Morris Park Race Track. The directions suggest travel by trolley, perhaps influenced by the many parish males who worked for the Third Avenue Railway System, the car barn located two blocks south of the church. The present church dates from 1925.

The address of the parish school, immediately east of the church, is 1909 Daly Avenue. For many years, the parish school was staffed by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary. It seems to have about 230 students. Any photo may be enlarged by clicking on it.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

St. Martin of Tours, East 182nd St.

The entrance to St. Martin of Tours church is on East 182 Street, the northeast corner with Grote St. Across Grote St. is Aquinas High School. Over the doorway is a statue of St. Martin, Bishop of Tours, France, who lived 316-397.

In the above photo, East 182 Street is to the left. Crotona Avenue goes north (at the right) past what seems to be a school gym.
See page 296 for the establishment of the parish of St Martin of Tours at the intersection of East 182 St. and Grote Street, Tremont, in 1897. This intersection is one short block east of Belmont Ave. The present church dates from 1953. See also page 348. The rectory address is 664 Grote St., Bronx NY 10457, telephone 718-295-0913.
For decades, laity and the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill staffed the parish school.  Unfortunately, the archdiocese chose to close the school in 2011, and a public school now uses the rooms  
David Gonzalez has written an excellent article on the final day of St. Martin of Tours school, which was Wednesday, June 22, 2011. The article appeared in the New York Times and is linked here. Photos accompany the article. Because newspaper articles sometimes change their url, you may have to do a search for the article. The web edition headline is "School's Out, Forever."