Sunday, March 15, 2009

Our Lady of Grace, Bronxwood Ave, Wakefield


In mid-2015, the archbishop announced that Mass would no longer be offered in Our Lady of Grace church on a regular basis.  The parish is merged with that of St. Frances of Rome.  The school remains open.




This sculpture of Mary and Jesus, created by Sister Angelica Ballan, was originally outside Misericordia Hospital on East 233rd Street.

Please click on any photo to enlarge it.

The photo above shows the school, rectory, and church.


See pages 478 and 479 for the parish of Our Lady of Grace, founded as an Italian parish in 1924. The present church, at Bronxwood Avenue and East 226 St., dates from 1968.  This is two blocks east of White Plains Road. The school, rectory, and church occupy the west side of Bronxwood Avenue from 225th St to 226th St. 
-----
The parish school is at 3981 Bronxwood Avenue. A March, 2009, message from the principal would seem to indicate one room per grade.  Please see the school website HERE, current as of November, 2015.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS CHURCH, I MADE MY COMMUNION AND CONFIRMATION IN THIS CHURCH IN 1958 , I BELIEVE.

Unknown said...

My cousins went to our lady of Grace and I do not knowing that churches are closed! What is happening? I went to st. Mary's n now the church is St John of Nam but the school still opened but no nuns or priests are there. Now I followed up to see Our Lady of Grace to find out that is closed as well but school there? Are there any nuns or priests there? Why did this happen I was feeling nostalgic n was going down memory lane and to find this out is breaking my heart. Although this happened a while ago it is still sad, very sad!