Saturday, November 21, 2009

St Augustine, Franklin Avenue and East 167 St.



Please see this news story from the Commercial Observer, 8.18.2015.  An all-affordable apartment house will be built on this site, which the church still owns.  An affiliate of Catholic Charities will develop the site, together with state and city agencies.

See pages 175 and 176 for the founding of The Bronx's third parish, St Augustine, on East 170th Street in 1855. The imposing church on East 167 St. between Fulton Avenue and Franklin Avenue was erected in 1895. Unfortunately, on January 29, 2012, some of the church buildings were closed and merged with that of Our Lady of Victory on Webster Avenue.  Among several news stories, please see this article from the New York Daily News.  Also, check out ny1.com for a video clip.
----
(Insertion: The Catholic New York of 1.14.2014 states that the church in the above photo was torn down in the fall of 2013.)
----
From the news stories, it is obvious that a parish is the faithful, the community, not necessarily the buildings.
Parishioners will worship with the faithful of Our Lady of Victory, linked here.
----
Please note this comment from Bill:
 I would like to correct the statement that St. Augustine Parish closed. The church buildings were unfit and not safe for use and needed millions to restore. The buildings were closed, not the parish. 
Since both the St. Augustine and Our Lady of Victory communities were struggling financially, many meetings were held in both communities under the leadership of our pastor,it was decided,that St. Augustine and Our Lady of Victory would join together to form a NEW parish. Thus on January 29,2012 St. Augustine Our Lady of Victory parish was born.
----
The A.I.A. Guide credits Louis C. Giele, a prolific church architect.


A former Mass schedule.

The former school is now used by a charter school.  Any photo may be enlarged by clicking on it.
For about seventy years the boys' department was staffed by the De La Salle Christian Brothers. The Sisters of Charity taught younger boys and all the girls.



Above is the Lwanga+DePorres Spiritual Life Center, 1168 Franklin Avenue, adjacent to the school.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to correct the statement that St. Augustine Parish closed. The church buildings were unfit and not safe for use and needed millions to restore. The buildings were closed, not the parish.
Since both the St. Augustine and Our Lady of Victory communities were struggling financially, many meetings were held in both communities under the leadership of our pastor,it was decided,that St. Augustine and Our Lady of Victory would join together to form a NEW parish. Thus on January 29,2012 St. Augustine Our Lady of Victory parish was born.

Robert J Maher said...

Married at St. Augustine's in 1996.

Unknown said...

I live in Pennsylvania. Used to live in the Bronx and attended St Augustine. My now 23 year old first born, and my second son, now 20, were baptised at St Augustine. I remember there was this guy taking pics during mass. He took one with my daughter and I and to this day
I still have it. It brings back great memories. I loved this Church. Blessings.

Unknown said...

Attended St Augustine school graduated in 1973 I will always recall fond memories of Sr.Regina,Sr Eileen,Bro John Bro.Edward and all my friends Esther W,Shiela W, Angela M and the
grown ups that cared for me and my peers gave us memories I know I will never forget. Thank you all

Anna said...

Attended St. Augustine and graduated in 1975. I remembered Sister Lorraine, Sr. Regina, Bro Edward, Ms. Rhem, Ms. Cooper, Father Arce (RIP), Ms. Gray (RIP) and so many others. I have so many fond memories of St. Augustine School/Church and being a part of the youth choir and adult choir. St. Augustine was home to me.

Katham said...

Wow Sr Regina and Brother Edwards was the Principal and I graduated in 1978

Katham said...

You might have known a Shawnequa Darden but I graduated in 1979 that my sister. Brother Edwards was the Principal then.