Monday, April 11, 2011

Our Lady of Angels, Kingsbridge Heights

Our Lady of Angels church is located on Sedgwick Avenue, Kingsbridge Heights, a few steps south of Reservoir Avenue. The Bx3 bus passes the door and stops nearby. The rectory, behind the church, is at 2860 Webb Avenue, Bronx, NY 10468, telephone 718-548-3005. The parish website is linked here.
The former school is behind the rectory, at 2685 Claflin Avenue.  The archdiocese closed it in 2013.
In Thomas Shelley's book, please see pages 478 and 480 establishment of this parish in 1924. The present church dates from 1958.

Any photo may be enlarged by clicking on it. St. Elizabeth Ann Seton is honored by this statue because her Sisters of Charity and lay teachers staffed the parish school for decades.

Three streets mentioned here run parallel, north-south. The church is on Sedgewick Avenue, the rectory on Webb Avenue, the former school on Claflin Avenue. 

St. Anthony, Commonwealth Ave.

Each photo may be enlarged by clicking on it. The above photos show the church and school on Mansion Street at the corner of St. Lawrence Avenue. The rectory is to the right, around the corner of Commonwealth Avenue. The parish address is 1496 Commonwealth Avenue, Bronx, NY 10460, telephone 718-931.4040. The school address is 1776 Mansion St., Bronx, NY 10460, telephone 718-892-1244. The neighborhood is north of the Cross-Bronx Expressway and south of Tremont Avenue, in the neighborhood called Van Nest.

Ten minutes after a crowded and jubilant sung Mass had finished on 4.10.2011, I took the above photo, which shows the tabernacle atop steep steps and the present altar among the people. A Latin American band (at the left corner) led enthusiastic singing. The crucifix and statues are covered for Lent.

Unfortunately, the archdiocese closed this school in June, 2013.

In Msgr. Shelley's book, see page 481 for the parish of St. Anthony, Van Nest. The parish was established in 1908 for Italians, but now includes faithful of many heritages. For years, the Sisters of Charity staffed the parish school. The above view is from Commonwealth Avenue. The church-within-a-school was built in 1930.


Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sisters of Charity of Mt. St. Vincent

The Sisters of Charity of Mount St. Vincent, Riverdale, staffed the following Bronx parish elementary schools for decades:
Blessed Sacrament
Our Lady of Angels
St. Anthony, Commonwealth Ave.
St. Augustine
St. Barnabas
St. Gabriel
St. John Vianney
St. Raymond
Sts. Peter and Paul
Others? Please send corrections to
Thank you