Saturday, February 4, 2012
Holy Spirit, University Avenue
The above photos were taken in February, 2012.
See page 475 for the Church of the Holy Spirit on the east side of University Avenue, near West Burnside Avenue, founded 1901. Page 586 describes the successful efforts against abandonment, fires, and destruction, largely through the Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition. The neighborhood is busy with residents and shoppers.
The rectory address is 1940 University Avenue, Bronx NY 10453, telephone 718-583-0120. University Avenue is also known as Dr. Martin L. King Blvd. West Burnside Avenue zig-zags as it crosses University Avenue, and Holy Spirit is between the zig and the zag!
The parish website, quite informative, is linked here.
In the first decades of the 20th century, vacant land in The Bronx soon became scarce. Several Catholic churches were designed as combination buildings, fitting a church within a school. In this instance, it appears that the architect put three functions within five stories: a church, a school, and a lofty convent.