Friday, May 18, 2012

St. John Nam, Williamsbridge




See pages 299 and 300 for the Korean Catholic parish of St. John Nam, which apparently was established in 1989 at some other location, and in 2007 moved into the church of St. Mary on White Plains Road near East 215 St, Williamsbridge. The rectory address is 3663 White Plains Road, Bronx NY 10467, telephone 718-231-2414.
------
This 2004 link may give some explanation of the history of the two parishes.
-----
Above the outdoor schedule of Masses is the heading, "St. John Nam R.C. Church 1989.  St. Mary R.C. Church 1866."  The schedule was photographed in May, 2012.
----
A block south of the church is the elevated station of the #2 White Plains Road train, which travels the Seventh Avenue Subway in Manhattan.  John Baptist Nam, 1806-1866, beheaded for his Christian faith, was canonized by Pope John Paul II.



The rectory is to the right of the church.



A statue of Mary is to the left of the church, which appears to have beautiful grounds.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I graduated from StMary school in 1972. I loved this church and spent years attending mass. I later married and both my children were Baptized at St. Mary's. Msgn Foster was the pastor and he not only Baptized me but returned from vacation to perform the sacrament of marriage. This was a small leaving parish. When Fr. Foster passed hundreds returned to attend his memorial mass.

onelilh said...

My family lived in the house at 3649.We lived there from 1970 til 1989.I was married in St.Marys in 1982.There are many memories that will have with me forever when I lived there .