Saturday, January 10, 2009
Christ the King, Grand Concourse
A helpful person forwarded this explanation as a comment:
"A building fundraising drive was initiated in 1962, and ended on November 16th with $275,000 pledged by parishioners. This was added to another $200,000 that the parish had already set aside for building.
"The new school building was dedicated on September 12, 1965. The school was constructed over the old church. Only the lower portion of the church had originally been constructed before the Depression put a halt to building plans. (Information obtained from the Dedication Album for Christ the King, printed in 1965.)"
See pages 472 and for the 1929 creation of the parish of Christ the King, at the Grand Concourse and Marcy Place. This is on the west side of the Grand Concourse two blocks south of East 170 Street,. The rectory address is 141 Marcy Place, Bronx NY 10452, telephone 718-538-5546. The school entrance is at the southwest corner of the intersection, 1345 Grand Concourse. The church entrance is downhill west on Marcy Place, underneath the school.