Saturday, January 10, 2009

St Francis of Assisi, Highbridge


The church is in the short block of Shakespeare Avenue between Featherbed Lane (to the left of the photo) and the canyon of the Cross Bronx Expressway (to the right of this photo).
----
See page 475 for the 1928 establishment of the parish of Saint Francis of Assisi in a predominantly Jewish part of High Bridge. With rather small territory carved from the thriving Sacred Heart parish, St. Francis could afford neither a school nor a large church. It has recently become part of Sacred Heart parish again. The postal address is Post Office Box 520013. Bronx NY 10452, telephone 718-731-6840. The Sunday received offering at Sacred Heart in January, 2009, was about $2,700 a week, and at St Francis about $1,700.
---
Thanks for the comments below.  Please note that there is a time lag of several hours between writing a comment and seeing it appear, because comments are moderated.  On 9.9.2016, a person, apparently frustrated, kept submitting the same long comment repeatedly because he did not see it immediately appear. The time delay helps weed out spam.

6 comments:

Cookie said...

When I was 9 years old, I made my first Communion at this church. I use to live on Jesup Ave. Now I'm 47 years old and still remember that day clearly.

Sally said...

We lived on Nelson and went to this church and PS 104. We had "Religious Instruction" on Sunday and Wednesday afternoons in the corner 'storefront'...
Eventually we all went to SHS and I knew a Cookie (Marie) from there.
Thank you so much. I enjoy your blog.

Diane said...

I made both my communion and confirmation there. I too, lived on Jesup Avenue. I went to PS 104 and then PS 82 before we moved away. I am now in my 50's and would love to reconnect with anyone from this area. Did you go the the Candy Store on Featherbed Lane? I remember getting my first "Buster Brown" shoes in the store around the corner from the church. I have nice memories of growing up playing games with all the neighborhood kids on Jesup Avenue while the moms hung out on the stoop.

Joe Blake said...

I was an Altar Boy at St. Francis, 1963-1966. Lived on Grand Avenue.

Mike Julia 1 said...

Hey I made my holy communion at St Francis back in May 1973 I lived at 1475 Shakespeare right across the street from P S 104 which I attended My block was a dead end which was right next to the Cross Bronx I remember My friends Elaine and Jeannette who lived right across the street @ 1476 Shakespeare and Debra Donald who lived in the private house that was owned by their grand mama @1474 shakespeare Peter Guadalupe was a cool friend who lived down the block @1510 my I would love to see them especially Jeannette Rodriguez my 4th grade classmate who I bought a slice and a soda on featherbed lane at Franks Pizza in 1972 one day I remember her mom Margie and her brother Memo Raymond If anyone lived on Shakespeare Ave and West 172st. 929 288 9775 text me Mike

Mike Julia 1 said...

Big shout Out all those who grew up around Shakespeare Ave and West 172nd St back in the 70s the dead end block. I was there and now i am 53 miss those days still remember the many faces of my childhood friend from the block and from ps 104 memories still fresh in my mind I lived at 1475 Shakespeare attended ps 104 and remember the annex 4th grade and made my communion at St Francis of Assist played ball at the schoolyard. Well that's all for now. Peace.