Saturday, March 29, 2008

St Ann, Bainbridge Avenue, Gun Hill


Both the school and church in this post are now closed (2017).
---
See pages 478 and 478 for the 1927 creation of the parish of St. Ann on Bainbridge Avenue, just north of Gun Hill Road. Inside the door, another set of stairs leads up to the church. Higher up is the school. Several Bronx parishes have a similar construction of school-above-church. Because of the steps, a ramp has been installed to a new church door along the left side of the building. 



For years, the Dominican Sisters of Sparkill staffed this school.
---
The New York Times of March 31, 1928, announced the filing of plans for the school and convent. The pastor was Rev. Martin Cavanagh.  The architects were Viemuster and Brady.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I attended St. Ann's School through the 3rd grade, when we moved. I made my First Holy Communion there. I loved the school and loved the Dominican Sisters of Sparkhill. They were very kind.

I also loved the Church. I am sad to learn that the school & the church have closed. I wanted to visit the church when we take our grandkids to the Bronx zoo.